Every marriage has its rough patches. But when you’re in the midst of one of those stretches, it can be hard to see the end.
In those circumstances, you might find yourself asking if this is really something that’s temporary, or if your marriage is failing. If it’s the latter, then divorce is likely on the horizon. So, how do you know if your marriage is heading toward its end and it’s time to get out?
Signs that your marriage could be headed toward divorce
There are a lot of indicators that could signal impending divorce. But no two situations are the same, so only use the following signs as helpful guides as you figure out what next step is best for you. With that in mind, here are some common signs that divorce is on the horizon:
- Physical or financial infidelity
- Emotional distancing
- Constant fighting
- Chronic irritability triggered by each other’s actions
- A general sense of unhappiness
- You look for reasons to avoid your spouse
- You and your spouse act more like roommates toward each other
- Values and priorities have changed and no longer align with each other
- You or your spouse start exhibiting changes in behavior
- Lack of respect
- Lack of interest in building or repairing the marriage
- Spending excessive amounts of time apart from each other
There are many other signs that your marriage is at its end and divorce is justified. You just have to examine the facts for yourself and make the decision that’s best for you.
Don’t blindly walk into your divorce
Before making the decision to pursue divorce, you need to have a roadmap to success. This can be stressful to think about, but you’ll need to devote time to considering how to handle matters like property division, child custody, child support, and alimony. If that’s something that you think you’d need help with, then please continue to research this area of the law and what supports you can put in place to successfully get yourself through the process.